Different Fencing Rules for Different Age Fencers
Atlantia has opportunities to fence for children as young as 12 years
old. But, there are different rules for this youth combat. Also,
responsibility for the youth program does not fall under the Kingdom
Rapier Marshal, but instead the Kingdom Youth Rapier Marshal.
So if you’re:
- 18 or older you must fight in the adult rapier program.
- 12 to 15 you must fight in the youth rapier program. Please go to http://yc.atlantia.sca.org/, as well as referring to section 3.8.5 of Kingdom policy.
- 16 or 17 you have a choice of which program to fight in, but you can fight in only one.
- If you choose to fight in the adult program there are additional requirements described in section 3.4.6 of Kingdom Policy.
- Please check with your group Minister of the Lists (MoL) for assistance in completing the waiver paperwork.
- You must also arrange to authorize with either the Kingdom Earl Marshal or Kingdom Rapier Marshal as one of your officiating marshals. Please contact these officers well in advance to make arrangements.
- Minors fighting as adults must have their masks marked with three 1” green dots in a trefoil (or “mickey mouse”) pattern.
- Minors may face restrictions when fighting in other Kingdoms. In particular, minors are not allowed to fight with adults at Pennsic.
- Once you authorize as a minor, you can no longer fight in the youth rapier program.